CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 26, 2008

What would you do if you hadn't eaten for two days?


Remember these adorable little boogers?

Well... they have grown into these kinda cool looking things called chickens.



They are neat, but can be a huge pain, especially since they are free range chickens (so far that is the plan anyway). They have acres and acres of woods filled with the most luscious of bugs and plants and everything a bird could want to feast on. But no, the greedy little things- they come right to my flower beds looking for who knows what and tear up all my hard work. They poop on my porches, and generally are just enjoyed more by me when they stay in their assigned territory. Which is never...

So anywhoo, to get to the point of my story- these little rascals won't leave the dog food alone either. When we feed the dogs, the chickens scurry over, fighting for every last morsel they can get those little peckers on. This would be a good time to explain that my dumb dogs just are no help at all in scaring these critters away- they just lazily watch the carnage without batting an eye. So we have decided that the dogs get fed in the evenings after the chickens go home to roost. Well, learning new habits sometimes takes time, and sad to say, the poor dogs have been forgotten a few times.

Yesterday, Joe asked Isaiah if the dogs had been fed, and it seems the dogs had gone without food for two days. So the lecture begins and goes something like this, Dad: "Isaiah, that's terrible. We can't forget these poor dogs. I can't do all the thinking for you. Now what would you do if you went without food for two days?" Isaiah: (matter of factly) "If I were them, I would just eat the chickens!"

Me: (silently in my own head of course) "Good answer! I could only hope the dogs would come to that conclusion someday- preferrably when the chickens are hard at work in the vegetable garden eating away at the tomatoes, or when they are in the flower bed digging up my newly planted flowers. 15 chickens should last about two weeks if the dogs shared one a day...

6 comments:

Here at home said...

Shellie, it's so fun to have you back. Thanks for the great laugh. I'm dying. So, I want to know if Joe even cracked a smile at that one?
Yeah, I'd say it's time to eat those chickens.

Wendoyoublog in Colorado said...

You can't let those dogs eat those chickens! Maybe they can break their necks so you won't have to...you know.....chop chop. Then all you have to do is pluck and eat them. Sounds easy to me. Yummy!

PS....Your last two posts have given me my laughing excercise for the day. LOVED them.!!!!!!

Iditadad said...

Incredible thinking. He must have inherited his brilliant mind from his grandma Eskimow. How did any of you keep a straight face? Love WoW

Bonnie said...

This story has had me in stitches ever since I read read it! This kid is SOOOOO funny (and smart!)

I thought you were going to tell how you starved the dogs on purpose so they would fight the chickens for their food. But that would NOT have been as funny to read about!

Thanks for sharing. I am still waiting for you to blog that really funny thing you were telling me about!

DrGooch said...

Now there's a lick of common sense--getting harder and harder to find it these days.

Tamster said...

LOL!!! Go Isaiah!

I, too, would like to know how Joe responded to that, though. :-)

I agree, however, that you guys should eat the chickens, not the dogs. Don't you eat the dogs; I think the chickens would taste much better, not to mention they were more annoying. ;-) Oh, wait, I meant, don't let the dogs eat the chickens! You eat them! That or forget the free range idea and coop them up! :-)